Thursday, March 14, 2013

Chloe Cooks: Our own verison of Cafe Rio Pork (with a kick!)

  We had some leftover pork in the freezer, and I decided it would be fun to make Cafe Rio Pork. I found a recipe that I liked, and bought the ingredients. Turns out when I went to put it in the crock-pot Sunday morning, I missed one of the ingredients on the list. So...I made up my own recipe. I was afraid that it wouldn't taste very good having to improvise to much. But it turned out way good! It was like a spicy version of Cafe Rio's pork, which we love spicy food in our house, so that wasn't a big deal. Here is my recipe:

1 16 oz. bottle of Dr. Pepper ( not diet)
1 cup of brown sugar
1 can of chilis in adobo sauce
a couple cups of chunky salsa

I put the pork in a plastic bag with 1/2 bottle of Dr. Pepper and 1/2 c. brown sugar. I let that marinade for a few hours. Then I place the pork in a crock pot on high for 6 hours. After the pork is done, shred the pork and add it back to the crock pot I then used my food processor to make the sauce. I took the sauce from the chilis in Adobo sauce and put it in the food processor. I then took a few of the chilis and placed them in as well. The more chilis you add the spicier it will be. Then I added the remaining Dr. Pepper and brown sugar. Pulse the mixture until well combined. Add the salsa and then pulse to just combine. Add it back to the crock pot and let the pork cook for about another hour. You can add more brown sugar if it needs to be sweeter.

I didn't want to go to the effort to make the dressing the Cafe Rio has, because it is a lot of work. Luckily I found a Cilantro dressing from Trader Joes ( LOVE Trader Joes!). I also made cilantro lime rice and black beans. Jayden also made his famous guacamole.







 Poor Gavin's excezema  on his face flared up from the spicy food. That's why his face is so red, but he sure loved the food and made a big mess!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for showing us some love!